Our guide to working in Canada as a UK citizen

If you're sick of hearing about recessions and credit crunches, then perhaps it's time you started thinking of emigrating? Canada never really suffered any economic ill effects from the recent downturn, so it's becoming a hot destination for Brits to emigrate to thanks to its gorgeous scenery and high quality of life.

If you're interested in working in Canada, then you have a number of options to achieve your goal. Canada offers a number of options for Brits to go over and live and work, and for most, having a year's sample is the perfect way to get started. UK Citizens under the age of 30 are eligible to apply for a year's work permit to Canada under their "International Experience Canada" programme.

This recently launched programme gives successful applicants a year's visa to work anywhere in the country, and the best part is, if you're having a good time, you can extend the permit for a second year at the end. For those who want to stay after this, they have a number of options.

Canada is always on the lookout for skilled migrants to fill roles such as: Doctors, Managerial consultants, architects, Lawyers and nurses. The full list of eligible occupations is available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp.

Interested people can also apply under the provincial nominee programme (PNP). If you're working in a job in Canada, and your employer would find it impossible to replace you if you had to leave, then they can apply to the provincial government for you to stay on. However, they will have to advertise the job so other Canadians have a chance to apply for it, so it is a tricky process.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021