Types of USA working visa

If you wish to work temporarily in the United States, you will need a specific non-immigrant visa based upon the type of work you will be doing and the purpose of your visit. Various categories of non-immigrant USA working visa are available to help foreigners work in the US legally under US immigration laws.

    Getty Images

Visa types/cartegories

The types or categories of temporary USA working visa open to foreign applicants include:

  • Speciality Workers Visa

A Speciality Workers Visa is issued to foreigners who enter America to work in speciality occupations, such as engineering, architecture, physics, mathematics, medicine and art and business specialities.

Applicants will usually have to meet the minimum requirement of a bachelor’s degree or have equivalent work experience in their speciality to qualify for the visa.

  • Employment-based Preference Visa

This preference visa is issued to foreign employees already working in the US and want to continue working there. American employers, on behalf of concerned persons, request the United States Citizenship And Immigration Services (USCIS) to grant permanent residency to select qualified employees.

  • Intra-company Transferees Visa

This visa type is for people who work for companies that have affiliates, subsidiaries or parent branches in the US. Applicants must have specialised skills (qualify for Speciality Workers Visa) or be employed in a managerial or executive capacities in America to qualify.

  • Temporary Skilled or Unskilled Workers Visa

A temporary skilled visa is issued to foreigners who wish to enter the US to work in non-agricultural sectors that have temporary, intermittent or one-time occurrence.

  • I Visa for Foreign Media Representatives

The I visa allows representatives of international media, including press, film and radio to temporarily work in the US.

  • Working Holiday or Exchange visas

An Exchange visa allows foreigners to work and or study in the US and experience American culture while at it.


Apply for your non-immigrant visa at the US Embassy or Consulate in your country of permanent residence or at any US embassy abroad. It is, however, more difficult to qualify for a visa outside your country of permanent residence.

At the US consulate, you will undergo review and you must meet certain pre-determined requirements. A consulate officer determines Temporary Worker applicants who qualify for USA working visa.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021