Part time tax laws for jobs in the UK

Those who are working in part time jobs in the UK are required to pay taxes and National Insurance contributions. It is very important that you check with the relevant authorities if you are uncertain about your taxation status. Part time tax laws apply to jobs of all kinds, unless you are earning less than the Personal Allowance.

Whether you are employed on a temporary, casual or part time basis you are required to pay taxes. This means that there are certain documents that your employer must supply to you, and certain activities that he or she should perform. However it is your responsibility to ensure that your are being taxed appropriately, and that your National Insurance contributions are up-to-date and in order.

Payslips must be supplied to employees of all kinds, including those working on a part time or casual basis. At the end of the tax year, your employer should provide you with a P60. This document illustrates how much tax you have paid during the year. Alternatively if you change jobs or cease working in your part time job, you should be supplied with a P45.

If you have a student loan and you are working in a part time job you can still have your loan repayments deducted if applicable. Those who are full time students are not required to pay taxes, provided they are working during the holidays. If they undertake additional work, they are still exempt from taxation if their earnings are less than the Personal Allowance.

Further information on part time tax laws for jobs in the UK can be found at direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/WorkingAndPayingTax/DG_10010537.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021