Hints on finding jobs in the USA for Brits

It's not quite as easy to up sticks and move to the United States as it once was. Now you've got a whole host of red tape to jump through before you can gain the privilege of working in the Land of the Free.

There are several ways to accomplish this, but on the whole it's a time consuming exercise that could very likely end in disappointment, just like it does for thousands every year. Let's take a look at the possibilities.

The obvious route, but one that's not open to everyone, is to take the family approach. If your spouse, or spouse to be, is an American citizen you could be entitled to enter the country using the K1, K3 or CR-1 forms. If an immediate relative is a citizen and would be willing to sponsor you, you can use form I-130, but expect a waiting time of between 6-12 months.

For everyone else, the most straightforward way in is to be qualified, with plenty of experience, within a field that currently has shortages in the American workplace. A degree level education or higher is essential, and the guidelines state that you should have at least 12 years worth of experience in the field in total, taking both work and study into consideration.

Next, you'll need to pre-arrange work with a company willing to fork up the $5,000 required to sponsor your employment. This is definitely easier said than done, and so rules out all but the most specialised experts. In addition to the difficulty involved in getting a place, your spouse will be legally unable to work while in America. You'll need a H1B Visa for this approach.

If your current employer is a multi-national company, it is possible for them to transfer you to their American office via a process called Intra-Company Transfer. This requires an L1 Visa form to be filled out.

Other options open are the E1 Treaty Trader Visa, O1 and P1 Visa, H2A or H2B Visa (for specialised seasonal work), and the R1 Visa which is restricted to non-profit religious groups.

Students can apply for the F1 Visa, but will only be able to work for a total of 20 weeks in a job on their campus, which rules out most people.

As you can see, it's certainly not an easy task finding jobs in the USA for Brits, but if you're highly skilled and willing to put in the effort, it's definitely possible!

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021