How to get employed in the USA

Working in another country could give you a chance to see some of the world while you earn money. It’s the perfect compromise for those who are adventurous enough to want to go abroad but don’t have the funds to do so. We’ll tell you how to get employed in the USA and discuss the work permits you’ll need before you travel.
    wikimedia commons

US visa

Before you can even consider work, there are a few practicalities to sort out like your flight and the small matter of getting a US visa. Although British citizens can visit the States for 90 days without a visa thanks to the US Visa Waiver Programme (VWP), you’ll need to apply for a visa. There are lots of different visas each of which is designed to cover certain types of situations. For example anyone emigrating for work will need to complete an E2 business visa. As there are so many types of visas, we recommend that you check out gov.uk for more specific info on which visa suits your needs.

Work visa

In order to work you’ll need to get your hands on an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This is a work permit that’s issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which basically proves to prospective employers that you’re eligible to work in the States. In most cases it’s valid for a year so will need renewing if you’re planning on a longer trip.


Of course the Americans don’t just let anyone walk in and ask for work. You’ll have to be one of the following to be considered for a work permit: a student looking for a particular type of work, the spouse of a US national or a person moving for work who has a job lined up already. There are lots of other types of people eligible like asylum seekers and refugees but we’re guessing that doesn’t apply to you.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021