Studying at English universities abroad

Studying at English universities abroad can give you a whole new perspective of your subject. If you're studying on a language course in the UK you're almost guaranteed to spend some time aboard, at least for a short placement, and will normally be taught in a sister university overseas. If you want to spend part of your degree studying abroad you can ask your university about the Erasmus scheme and obtain a short placement (or a year placement) at an overseas university - you don't have to be studying a language degree to do this.

However, if you want to apply to study overseas for the duration of your course you won't be able to find an English university like in the UK but may find an institution that teaches English students.

Applying for English Universities Aboard

If you want to study aboard you'll need to apply earlier than other applicants, at least 12 months before the start of the course but ideally 18 months. This can seem like quite a wait, especially if you haven't completed your A-Levels, but as an overseas student you'll have a lot more paperwork to sort out than a normal student. If you can't apply this early you should consider researching your university 18 months before the start. Check the:

  • Eligibility of the course - will they accept you as an overseas student?
  • Language qualification required - will an overseas university accept you if you cannot speak the country's native language? Even some English speaking universities may request some knowledge of the country's language.
  • Whether the course is recognised - will your degree qualify you in your subject back in the UK or anywhere else in the world relevant to your future career?
  • Entry requirements or the country - is a visa required?
  • Funding for the course - most overseas universities will not fund students from another country and you may be expected to meet the course fees and living expenses yourself.


United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021