Emigrating to Canada - What are your options?

Canada is fast earning a reputation for itself as a lifeboat in these turbulent economic times. However, we can't all go over there and expect to get jobs can we? Well, there are a number of obstacles you'll need to overcome before you can get employment in Canada.

So you want to work in Canada? Well, the country has limits on just who can live and work there. There are a number of options open to EU citizens depending on your circumstances. The full range of options can be found here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp.

For most UK citizens, you will fall under one of two categories, you will either be eligible to apply for the International Experience Canada one year work permit, or else you'll be able to apply under the "Skilled Worker" programme.

The IEC visa is open to UK citizens aged between 18 and 30. It allows you to work anywhere in Canada for a year. If you want to work in healthcare, or with children, you will have to undergo a medical. The good news about this visa is that you can re-apply for a second year when your year expires.

The other option is the Skilled Worker Programme. This visa is open to workers who fit into 29 separate categories in which Canada is in need of extra workers. If you qualify, you will be able to stay and work indefinitely, but only work in your chosen field. Here is a list of the occupations that qualify - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021