Looking for the first step into a career in adult education?

A career in adult education can be very enjoyable and rewarding, and there are a variety of career options available.

In order to get started there are some minimum requirements that must be met. These can vary slightly depending on the type of job you are looking for and with the specific subject requirements, but all adult educators in the UK need to have at least the following (or equivalent):

- a PTLLS Certificate (City and Guilds). This is a basic benchmark course which enables anyone wishing to gain experience and knowledge of how to teach adults in a learning environment. It stands for Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector.

It applies for those wishing to become adult educators in a college or workplace, and is a really good introduction into the understanding and ethics of teaching others.

Usually the other thing needed is at least some experience in the chosen subject at a higher level than that you will be teaching (or relevant workplace experience). For instance if you are looking to teach adults GSCE mathematics, you will need to have at least an A-level in maths and a PTLLS Certificate.

- a DTLLS Certificate (City and Guilds). This is the next stage up from the PTLLS course and is a Diploma for those wishing to teach full time in further or adult education.

There are many companies that offer these courses which are accredited by City and Guilds. To find out a training centre near you, you can look directly on their website (cityandguilds.com).

Either one of these courses will be relevant to you if you are looking for a career in adult education, and the level and type of education you will be teaching will decide which one you need to do.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2019